Are You Cabwise?
In light of the distressing news of a sexual assault at the hands of bogus Private Hire driver in Edinburgh over the weekend, here are our TOP 10 TIPS for being 'cabwise' and getting home safely:
1. ALWAYS USE A LICENSED VEHICLE. - Whether Public or Private Hire, vehicles licensed by the City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) carry their license details and plate numbers both inside and outside of the vehicle.
2. IF IN DOUBT CHECK THE DRIVER'S I.D. - All taxi drivers in Edinburgh must wear photo identification issued by CEC and must have this visible on their person.
3. BOOK YOUR TAXI - Pre-book where possible, even if it's just ten minutes in advance, If you need a taxi ASAP call a trusted company like Central Taxis and we will have a vehicle with you as quickly as we can.
4. CHECK OUR CREDENTIALS - Check out the companies operating in your area and the steps they've taken to ensure the safety of their passengers. All Central Taxis drivers have Enhanced Disclosure Scotland clearance with additional 'People in Vulnerable Groups' Certification. All of our vehicles are GPS tracked; our drivers are uniformed and selected by a rigorous vetting process.
5. AVOID WALKING ALONE TO HAIL A TAXI – When we reach peak demand Central Taxis drivers stop picking up at taxi ranks or by being hailed. This is to ensure our focus and priority is given to those customers who book with us whether by web, phone, or our free smartphone app.
Avoid walking the streets late at night to hail a vehicle. If you find yourself in a location alone where you do not feel safe is there a hotel or business open nearby where you can wait in safety?
6. TRACK YOUR TAXI - Take control of your booking by using our free smartphone app which allows you to track your taxi live.
7. GET THE VEHICLE DETAILS - When booking using our app you are given the licence plate and vehicle details of your taxi so you can ensure you are always getting into the right vehicle.
8. BLACK CABS - Black taxis have security partitions for your safety and the safety of the driver. In addition to 'The Knowledge' black cab drivers have also had to pass 5 other modules including ‘Customer Care’ and ‘Handling Conflict’.
9. ASK SMART QUESTIONS - Always let the driver tell YOU who they're picking up and NOT the other way around. Avoid asking "are you for Ms. Smith?" and instead ask "who are you picking up?"
10. ‘BUDDY ME’ - Our smartphone app allows you to notify a friend when you've made a booking. That person can then track your vehicle all the way from 'Booked' to 'Completed'.
Know your Central Taxi. All Central vehicles carry a unique callsign on the front and rear windows. This is in bold yellow and preceeded by the letter 'P'.